Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Snippets of Verse

Every so often, I come across a snippet of verse or certain lyrics in a song which strike a chord with me.  I've never really read much poetry so it's not something I deliberately search out, but maybe that's also why certain things have such impact on me when I do stumble across them? Who knows?

The other day I came across these lines, which I've since discovered are part of Tennyson's poem Ulysses;

I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
Forever and forever when I move.



Hopefully the untravell'd world won't turn out to be a graveyard, as in the photograph I took here just outside Stirling in Scotland. At least not just yet!

Poetry, is of course, often subjective and lends itself to different interpretation, so I'm loathe to suggest I have any expertise on the matter, but to me this (admittedly very small part of a longer poem) kind of alludes to the fact that our past experiences in life shape us but aren't the sum total of who we are because there are yet more experiences and adventures to be had.  It reminded me of a song who's lyrics also had something of a profound effect on me when I first heard them.  This time from Roy Harper's The Same Old Rock;

All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin
That gather up the times and tides at once we love within;
That builds the edges round the shrouds that cloud the setting sun
And carry us to other days and other days to one.



For as long as I can remember, way back into my childhood, I've been attracted to things that resonate with the past.  Ancient landscapes, the ruins of castles, abbeys and monastery's, hillforts.....anything really that links back to those who have gone before, so I consider myself very lucky to live in the British Isle, which has so much of this kind of stuff on offer.



Over the last few years I've made it something of a mission to go photograph as much of these kinds of things as I'm able  (without becoming utterly obsessive!), so in all likelihood a lot of photos of this ilk will crop up on my blog with regular....I was going to say monotony,...... but that's not really the word I'm looking for! Suffice to say they'll be lots of photos of old stuff cropping up all over the place, a lot of which I'll have dabbled around in photoshop with.


Photos such as this for example, which is part of the ruins of Netley Abbey just outside of Southampton;


or this, part of the ancient landscape of North Wales;


I do seem to like my teals and blue effects don't I? Trying for something with a little more colour though again sticking with a grunge effect, this is the fifteenth century Tu Hwnt i'r Bont in Wales, now a tea room owned by the National Trust


Or what about these, the beautiful burnt out ruins of Nymans;


The legacy of the past in places such as these still impacts on us in the modern world and I suspect will continue to do so long into the future. Maybe this was what old Tennyson was alluding to? For me, despite their often troubled past they are sources of, to quote yet another song, this time by Van Morrison, Haunts of Ancient Peace.  I'm looking forward to discovering more as the year progresses.

4 comments:

Lunar Hine said...

I'm looking forward to discovering with you.

Ogham Moon said...

Thank you, Lunar. It's likely to be a pretty eclectic journey, but that's half the fun I think!

Jeri Landers said...

, You are indeed fortunate to be able to walk amongst such incredible history. I would find this an almost spiritual experience, as a lover of History. Although I treasure the centuries old areas of Architectural interest in my country, it just isn't old enough for me. I long to explore a more ancient place of castles, bogs, moors,manor houses and the monasteries where monks created the beautiful illuminated manuscripts and books. I love your photographs, they just feel breathe of the past.

Ogham Moon said...

Aww thank you, Jeri. I so get your comment about spirituality. There are some places I've visited which resonate in such a manner with me also. I really do consider myself very lucky to live here! Kate x